Just found the issue of First For Women Magazine with the article about me and How Scrapbooking Saved My Marriage on stands this morning!!!! So completely excited about this!!!. Read Below for a Behind the Scenes!!!
A few years ago, Charlie and I filmed some videos about scrapbooking for the fun of it, Charlie even built me a scrapbooking studio in a spare room at the office. Last summer, about the same time as Lain Ehmann and Angie Lucas, formerly of Simple Scrapbooks, emailed to invite me to be an "Ella Friend" for their new e-zine / e-book publication called Ella Publishing, I got another email from Lisa Maxbauer of First for Women Magazine - she'd seen my video on youtube and wanted to do a story about me! I was beyond excited with these two little secrets so I'm so excited that the First story is finally here!!!!
You can find First For Women Magazine in most grocery store check out aisles, it comes out every three weeks and prints 4.3 million copies with each issue - that means there are 4.3 million magazines with my picture in them. That is completely mind blowing - way cool.
Ten Fun Facts About the Article:
1. Charlie bought me that heart shaped necklace last Christmas.
2. They did my hair and makeup for a few hours before the shoot and actually used an air-blower make up thing - a big step up from my days at Barbizon at the Bangor Airport Hilton in the 80s.
3. The blank little book that I used for the mini-book described in the article was from Simple Scrapbooks (imagine that - if you read this blog you probably know that I love love love love loved that magazine which is sadly no longer - but you can check out www.ellapublishing.com which is run by Angie (former Simple Scrapbooks managing editor) and Lain (former writer for Simple) for more simple scrapbooking ideas. Plus check out www.stacyjulian.com and www.writeclickscrapbook.com for even more Simple Scrapbooking ideas! Or just keep reading the archives of this blog.
4. The papers shown in the background of the little picture were given to me by the folks at the October Afternoon booth at Summer 2009 CHA Orlando. I made a minibook about my daughter with these adorable papers - look over to the right of my blog to see the minibook.
5. We'll be celebrating 11 years of marriage on 1/3/10 and we still argue (we are both lawyers after all - its kind of how we talk) - in fact this morning we were debating paint colors; but I KNOW that scrapbooking has helped our marriage in so many ways and made my life happier in all sorts of ways. Its a quick and easy way I can tap into my creative happy place on a daily basis even with the very busy life I lead. I like the bold color and he likes the more muted one - but at least I got him to like a color other than beige!!!
6. We've been watching re-runs of Marley & Me on HBO and I pretty much cry through the entire thing because it is so much like our life - there are a couple of lines / scenes that always get me because they could have been written about us - 1. the scene where the wife wants to do it all herself but then asks him for help and then he's confused and then she races down the hall muttering "you're such a jerk!" but later they make up without a lot of effort and you get the feeling that they're in it for keeps just like we are; and 2. the time when she has a miscarriage but doesn't really cry hard until Marley comes over and then she loses it - this was my Dandy Dog during my miscarriage and 2 very difficult pregnancies; and 3. at the end when he's at the vet's office with Marley for the last time and she's at home looking through the scrapbook she's made of his articles and the music swells and the flashbacks reel starts - I've got tears streaming down my face just thinking about that scene (our labs are 10 and 11 and they are starting to seem very, very old).
7. Charlie hates or at least he used to hate having his picture taken and gives "the turtle face" in many pictures which his mother hated, but I came to love, and now he's a much more willing photo subject because he knows why I'm taking all those pictures. You're a very good sport honey :)
8. We so want to go back to Atlantis in the Bahamas where we had our honeymoon - now I've got a really great idea for a scrapbooking page / mini book about that - then & now sort of thing - can't wait to plan the trip & make the mini book!!
9. The photo in the magazine was taken in my bedroom and they made my room look like a scrapbooking store - you can't really tell from the magazine picture, I'll put up a picture of the "set" sometime soon.
10. I am so going out today to buy more copies!!!
So go pick up your very own First For Women Magazine - I'm on page 86 - but don't just look at it in the store - its only $2.49 - and there are tons of extremely cute ideas for Christmas and the holidays!!